Anybody in need of a quick lunch or snack idea? I am constantly looking out for healthy, grain-free options that I can throw together quickly, and bonus points if they can also be served as a party appetizer or for company!
Well, these Paleo Avocado Cups are just that!
They take only a few minutes of stove top work, and the overall process can be done in about 10-15 minutes with a healthy (macro- & micro-nutrient dense) outcome the whole family will enjoy! Um, yes please!
In general, I’d recommend these fun cups as a great lunch or snack option, but on the night I created them they were our dinner. They were birthed out of desperation to get real food on the table immediately after a day of sick kids, crock pot lids breaking, and realizing that the meat I wanted to use hadn’t fully defrosted yet. But, friends…
When life gives you lemons, make bacon!” Tweet This
So, I dug through my fridge to see just how I might be able to turn our bacon into a meal without much time on my hands.
Avocado Cups Stuffed with Bacon & Egg Salad
- 6 Pastured Eggs
- 6 slices Pastured Bacon
- 1 Tbsp Plain Homemade Yogurt or Primal Mayo (buy from Amazon or Thrive Market) for Paleo/non-dairy option
- 2 Organic Green Onions, sliced
- Real Salt (Amazon or Thrive Market) to taste
- Organic Black Pepper (Amazon or Thrive Market) to taste
- 3 Organic Avocados, halved and pitted
- Optional: Organic Red Cayenne Pepper (buy from Amazon or Thrive Market)
Note: when purchasing dry/pantry ingredients for recipes, my go-to shops are Thrive Market (for the wholesale and discounted prices, free shipping, and their commitment to helping families in need, and Amazon Prime (for the free 2 day shipping!).
- Hard boil eggs in water in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, cook bacon to desired level of crispiness.
- When eggs are cooked, run them under cold water for a minute or two to ease peeling process. Remove shells.
- Mash egg yolks and whites in a bowl along with plain yogurt/mayo and green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then crumble bacon into the mixture.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits.
- Scoop egg salad mixture into the avocado “cups” and sprinkle with red cayenne pepper to finish.
Enjoy, and Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!