I LOVE a good scent running through my living space, but so many air fresheners, candles, and wax melts come along with synthetic fragrances and toxic ingredients. I don’t just want my home to smell good, I want the air to be safe and healthy to breathe, too! That is why I love making our own reed diffusers with natural twigs and essential oils.
DIY Reed Diffusers with Essential Oils + Natural Twigs
- 1/4 cup Sweet Almond Oil (buy here)
- 300 drops (6 tsp) of Essential oils (here is where I buy mine)
- Repurposed jar with narrow lid or a small vase
- Natural twigs
- Vegetable Peeler
- Baking Sheet
How to Make Them:
- Lay your twigs out on a baking sheet, and place them in a 200F oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour to kill germs and bugs. (Sorry, little buddies!)
- After the sticks have cooled, use a vegetable peeler to remove the outer bark.
- Add the almond oil and essential oils to your jar or vase and swirl to combine. Make sure that the jar has a narrow lid so that the scent doesn’t as easily escape. I do not recommend using other carrier oils. Almond oil is light enough to travel through the twigs, and in virtually scentless.
- Insert as many peeled twigs into the vase as possible.
- After 15 minutes, flip the twigs over so that the oiled side is spreading scented goodness and cheer all around. You will need to flip the sticks around every few days to boost the scent. When the scent is gone completely, you can top up the jar with fresh essential oils. When the sticks are fully saturated with oil they will need to be replaced.
Want to read more about this project? See the full post I wrote for the Real Food RN blog.
(click HERE to pin the image)