Today you are in for a double treat: A great natural beauty trick you can use, pin, and reuse again, AND an easy peasy way to turn it into a great gift or stocking stuffer!What’s that? Don’t feel like making them yourself? No sweat, because I will also be selling them in my brand-spankin’ new Etsy shop!
USING ACTIVATED CHARCOAL TO WHITEN TEETH:
It is no secret that many crunchies use activated charcoal to whiten teeth (as well as tackle food poisoning and make mascara!). This natural whitening treatment is gaining loads of popularity in green medicine cabinets with good reason; it is effective, cheap, and avoids many of the harmful chemicals and toxins involved with bleaching teeth.
WHAT IS ACTIVATED CHARCOAL? Activated charcoal is carbon that has been heated to become more absorbent. It is known for its power to soak up toxins and impurities, and to travel through the gi tract without itself being absorbed. (Use with caution though – especially when taking internally – as it can also absorb the good guys!)
HOW DO I WHITEN MY TEETH WITH ACTIVATED CHARCOAL? Brush about 1/2 tsp (1-2 capsules — this is the brand I use) onto the teeth and allow the charcoal to sit in the mouth and soak up stains for about 3 minutes, using saliva or brush to re-position charcoal back onto teeth throughout. Spit, rinse. For best results, repeat daily for up to 7 days. Note: Some suggest creating a paste with water (I find unnecessary as your saliva will build enough moisture in 3 minutes, I promise!). Others dip toothbrushes into powder. I personally recommend emptying a capsule directly into the mouth and working from there as charcoal is very messy!
DOES IT REALLY WORK? Yes – The absorbency of activated charcoal allows it to soak up and lighten stains on teeth from external sources (like drinking coffee or tea). It will not, however, bleach teeth to an unnatural white, or treat internal causes of discoloration (like disease or genetics).
WHY DO SOME CONVENTIONAL DENTISTS ADVISE AGAINST IT? There has been some concern stated about the abrasiveness of charcoal and whether or not regular use will wear away the tooth enamel. I agree that this can be a danger, and that we should never try to lighten our teeth by abrasively scrubbing or trying methods that employ a “sanding” strategy. Activated charcoal, however, is not supposed to be an exfoliating treatment, it is effective because it absorbs.
With that in mind, here are a couple of tips to make sure your enamel doesn’t get worn down:
- Use only a soft-bristled tooth brush (like this one)
- Brush only long enough to ensure the charcoal has gently massaged over and covered all of teeth well, then brushes down! Keep charcoal in mouth for 3 minutes, using saliva to rearrange charcoal back onto the teeth (as if you were oil pulling). If you really want to use the brush again, then think of it as a paintbrush to apply the charcoal rather than a scrub brush.
- Only use this treatment for up to a week (daily), and then give your mouth a break.
TIP FOR EXTRA WHITENING POWER: Gargle with diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide after treatment.
Now, let’s take this natural teeth whitening concept and step it up into a fun and creative stocking stuffer or gift idea!
HOW TO MAKE A “NICE LIST COAL” STOCKING STUFFER:
- 7 Activated charcoal capsules (where to buy)
- Toothbrush with soft bristles!! (I recommend these as they are kid-sized and fit well in the muslin bags, have soft bristles, and are made of organically-grown & sustainably sourced bamboo. PS they are cheap.)
- Muslin bags (The ones pictured are 4×6, but if you shop on Amazon or have a larger toothbrush you might want these 5×7 ones which I have also used.)
- Printed instructions. You can access a FREE printable copy of my instructions HERE, or you could always type your own out, of course!
- Optional: I recommend using a coin envelope (I got mine at Staples) or tissue, folded paper, etc to wrap capsules in before putting in muslin bag. This is a good idea as activated charcoal easily stains and makes messes, so you don’t want one of the capsules getting crushed and spilling inside!
I feel pretty silly even typing steps of how to make this kit as I’m sure you get the idea from looking at the pictures, but for the sake of making this post longer than it needs to be…. Onward march!
PLACE the envelope in muslin bag along with toothbrush.
PRINT our free instruction tags (get instant access HERE) and poke hole in upper left corner.
GIVE away! Go ahead, make someone’s day!
Don’t feel like making it yourself?
No problem! I can make it for you! Teeth Whitening Kits are now available in our Etsy shop!
Have you used activated charcoal to whiten your teeth before? Let me know in the comments below!